As keen campers we take our portable barbecue with us for weekends away for a great smoky outdoor feast. We also love a beach barbecue when the weather is right – you can light a barbecue on Hove beach from 6pm and enjoy your supper washed down with a cold beer watching the lapping waves and the sun set.
To coincide with National barbecue week 2016 (May 30th – June 5th), we have shared our top tips for the perfect camping, picnic or beach barbecue.
- Wine is a must. Wines for the beach should be refreshing, light-bodied, thirst-quenching and drinkable. A screw cap is preferable and a product such as the Vinnebago will keep your wine cool for hours (if it lasts that long). Plastic wine glasses are a good option too.
- Take a good condiment. There’s nothing tastier than simply grilled meat or fish but a tasty condiment makes the meal a tad more exciting. We recently discovered this this lemon ketchup, which is great with fish or grilled meats. We’re also fans of a smoky spicy mojo sauce, which is the perfect accompaniment to a sausage or a burger. A simple smokey home-made mayo (recipe can be found here) always works well too. And when it comes to cooking the meat itself, this article has some advice on the chemistry behind barbecue cooking.
- The taste of grilled fish on the beach really bring the smells of the sea to life. We loved the taste of grilled octopus tentacles when we last had a BBQ (recipe here). Or if you’re after something a little less daring, you could baste some sardines in a marinade or harissa paste for a flavoursome fishy taste.
- Don’t forget the sides! Halloumi grills wonderfully on a barbecue and the squeaky smoky texture is delightful. A lovely fresh couscous salad with roasted vegetables can be made beforehand, with some pomegranate seeds for an added zing.
- Marshmallows! When the light is fading there’s nothing better than slowly warming a marshmallow in the embers of the barbecue and enjoying the sweet soft stringy strands.
What is your must-have barbecue essential?Find Flavour Seeker on social media: